Best Post Hole Digger: Handling things at home, we mean everything, is not as enjoyable as we see in the movies. Let us take a moment to think of the yard work, the most time-consuming task of all. Every time we complete the yard work, we think of some potentially efficient ways to get tasks done within a short time. Usually, that remains as an end thought. Sometimes we have no clue which yard routine should be changed for more efficiency.
What if we say the time you take and the tools you choose influence each other. Well, the very next question that pops up is about the quality. No one wants to double-work; understandable. We have come up with some brilliant products that save one part of your yard time. This will leave you ample time to work on more outdoor projects or just simply enjoy the view. Did we mention the post hole digger?
If you have been through the yard work for years now, you know the importance of post hole digger. For those who are still dreaming of a wonderful yard, let us remind you, a post hole digger digs a hole in the dirt and you can use it for all the landscaping needs.
How to Choose the Best Post Hole Digger
Table of Contents
- How to Choose the Best Post Hole Digger
- Best Post Hole Diggers 2020
- Landworks Heavy Duty Eco-Friendly Electric Cordless Auger Power Head, w/Steel 6″x30″ Earth Auger Lithium Ion Battery & Charger
- ARKSEN 1200W 1.6HP Electric Post Hole Digger Auger Earth Ice w/ 4 inch Auger Bits Set
- Dirty Hand Tools | 100623 | Model 90 Three-Point Hitch Post Hole Digger | Compatible with Category 0 – 1 Tractors | For Compact 6, 9 and 12 Inch Augers
- Hiltex 10525 Electric Earth Auger with 4″ Bit 1, 200W and 1.6 hp Powerhead
- Southland SEA438 One Man Earth Auger with 43cc, 2 Cycle, Full Crankshaft Engine
- Frequently Asked Questions on Post Hole Diggers
There are several types of post hole diggers you can use. The choice depends on your yard project type. Ask yourself these questions before you make your choice:
- Is my digging task heavy-duty or medium-duty?
- Is my task light project or a repair project?
- Is my project as large as installing a new project around your property?
- What kind of soil or terrain am I working with? – Soft or rocky?
As already discussed, you have to first decide your project type to find out which would be the best post hole digger for your landscape. Before that, there are so many features you must look for in a post hole digger if you want it to be effective. We bring to you, a list of options with the best features. These diggers will save your time in the project and our product choices will save your time during purchase.
Manual Post Hole Diggers
These post hole diggers are primarily designed for tasks that are a medium-duty. Some manual diggers can go through the toughest of soils, however, you have to keenly look for one. Usually, a manual digger will be able to dig up to 4 feet deep. If you are working on soft and loose soil, manual diggers should work. As for design, it looks simple with two handles. You can dig the ground and then separate the handles to break up the soil.
Some manual diggers have fiberglass handles that help you with extra comfort. The innovative handle design will protect the knuckles while digging. The size of the handle has so much to do with the leverage on the digger the user gets. With proper size, the user will be able to maneuver the tool easily into the soil. If you are tall enough, get a handle with a 55-60 inch range. Well, if you are not, 47-55 should do. Manual diggers require some physical effort. If you are digging in the clay-like soil, you might want to reconsider your decision. You may as well choose the automatic digger.
Automatic Post Hole Diggers
The Automatic post hole Digger is specifically designed to work on a heavy-duty project. On the soil is challenging and the terrain condition same hard and Rocky, automatic post hole digger would be the best choice. Even if you have a lot of digging projects, then you would need an automatic post hole digger mandatorily. Also termed as augers, there are two different types that include gas powered post hole diggers and electrically powered post hole diggers.
Gas-powered Post Hole Diggers
This particular post hole digger can also be termed as one-man auger as it is operated by one person obviously. This is an extremely powerful machine and the Steel included here is of a higher grade. If durability is your specific concern, then gas-powered digger could be the perfect choice to get your work done in tough conditions.
Electric Post Hole Diggers
If you are looking to get the task done without disturbance of fume during hole digging, then you can make use of an electric post hole digger. Apart from this comfort, performance is very powerful. However, you might have to stay close to a power source or make use of heavy-duty power cord. Let the soil be rocky or harder, you got this if you have an automatic electric post hole digger. Also, do check for the engine, the drill bit and its diameter including the weight to see if you can handle it.
Be wise and make the right decision. We have also listed some specific products for your convenience. You can take a brief look at it.
Best Post Hole Diggers 2020
Let us see what these post hole diggers are capable of.
Landworks Heavy Duty Eco-Friendly Electric Cordless Auger Power Head, w/Steel 6″x30″ Earth Auger Lithium Ion Battery & Charger
The most efficient posthole digger in the market with a 3-planetary gear mechanism, Landworks Heavy-Duty Auger Power Head comes with a Lithium-Ion Battery and a charger. Weighing just 10 kilograms, the auger is one of the safest and eco-friendly ones in the market. It is provided with an overload protector that helps in avoiding overheating. The Landworks Heavy-Duty Auger provides unmatched safety and durability that can be used in dry soil also. Charging has to be done after every use but it is worth the money and can be very useful. This Heavy-Duty Auger can be termed as one of the best in the market. With equal in efficiency and safety precautions, it is very useful in digging holes. This digger is considered to be the cutting edge technology of the Auger Drill industry. It is recommended to get the Landworks Heavy-Duty Auger but it may be unreliable when the pothole contains thick roots. This three-point post hole digger gives the best chance for you out there. If you are a person who thinks about the environment then this product is just for you. The digging is made easier with this and at the same time, this allows you to work conveniently. This is Eco-friendly, convenient and safe. Not only that the product has one of the best user ratings and reviews out there. Though there are some limitations this gives an upper-hand on almost every aspect.
Why We Like It
- Carbon coated steel auger provides durability
- A Safety Stop button is provided to avoid damages
- Can dig 60 holes in a single 4Ah charged the battery
- It is not durable enough to dig through roots.
ARKSEN 1200W 1.6HP Electric Post Hole Digger Auger Earth Ice w/ 4 inch Auger Bits Set
The ARKSEN Electric Posthole Digger has a power rating of 1200 W. It is one of the best value-for-money products in the market. To make the environment more green and clean, using the ARKSEN Electric Posthole Digger is the first step. Planting trees and shrubs need digging up of holes and this does it for you in the best way possible. Weighing 12 kilograms and possessing a bright red color, this posthole digger contains an auger drill bit of 3 and a half inches long and 4 inches in diameter. The two-cycle engines provided inside the driller is an excellent replacement for the usual gasoline-powered drillers. The cheapest and best alternative for digging holes, the ARKSEN Electric Posthole Digger is a very handy tool that can work wonders in both dry and hard soil which is generally difficult to dig through. This is a perfect section for the installing of the fence and this is going to make it off the charts. This electric post digger will make your life easy with its ease, torque and power exertion. The use of electricity to dig in makes the product portable as well as easy to use. There is versatility in the product which gives a boost to everything. The product is getting out to the public and people definitely have reviews for it.
Why We Like It
- The eco-friendly product gives an upper-hand on every other product out there.
- It is equipped with a good quality auger that is completely battery-powered.
- It has prevention from overheating and has improved balancing for the handling purpose.
- The efficiency is designed on a 3-planetary Gear Mechanism for high transmission.
- The motor is brushless giving smooth working and efficient digging.
- The sturdiness is compromised somewhere or the other.
Dirty Hand Tools | 100623 | Model 90 Three-Point Hitch Post Hole Digger | Compatible with Category 0 – 1 Tractors | For Compact 6, 9 and 12 Inch Augers
This post hole driller that this product features the best drilling system and compatibility out there. The driller has all the features that are required. It is a post hole Auger and the product delivers one of the best qualities out there. The product has good compatibility and the power and versatility are too good. It brings in the dependable structure and the performance is also up to the standards.
Why We Like It
- The bit tuns with 200 RPM which helps in the removing of the earth easily and swiftly.
- There is a range of augers that can be worked with this. By default, it has a 4 inch Bit
- 1.6 HP of horsepower makes the power for the product.
- The capacity of the drilling is good too.
- The handling is easy and the efficiency is great indeed.
- The grip of the handle is not great.
- No reverse and lock mechanism and Ejection of the auger after the drilling is a pain
Hiltex 10525 Electric Earth Auger with 4″ Bit 1, 200W and 1.6 hp Powerhead
The next product is an Electric Post Hole digger and this one makes life easier and brings you all the facilities for you. It is making life of the people easier because of the convenience and the set-up. The product is obviously powered by electricity but its hold allows you to handle the sizing of the hole and depth with ease. The thing is that you need to work on the handling of the bit in the first place because there are complains about it. Precautions are handled by the product on a priority basis and it really gets the job done for almost all the users. Again the incompletion of the product lies herein. Thus some of the feedback has to be taken into the account. It will allow the understanding of the better segment and will give realistic views about it. With the power and handling this product has on the field it is very handy. It is able to work on accuracy on that matter with the power we need in order to get into the mud or the solid dry ground.
Why We Like It
- It is a powerful product for itself because of a high-performance motor that delivers 90 ft-lb torque with 200 RPM speed.
- One of the best hole diggers because of the perfection in the installing of a fence post, deck, planting a tree and much other lawn application.
- It has a safety lock for the precautionary basis that prevents danger and adds security to the product.
- The handling of the product is ergonomic indeed and the set up of it is easy because of the accuracy can be handled for the positioning.
- The set includes 1- pcs 4 inches x 30 inches auger bit
- Some of the pieces have an issue with working after the first usage.
- The product has no on house warranty
Southland SEA438 One Man Earth Auger with 43cc, 2 Cycle, Full Crankshaft Engine
This gas-powered post hole digger brings with it all the possible and sustainable sections for the productivity to be accounted for. The product has the positives and the negatives but the handling takes the step forward and pushes you to get this product for your home. The crankshaft engine gives the bit the power it needs and the gear the consumption that is required. It makes the complete product potable and usable in the department of handling and usage. The bit brings in the setbacks but the replacement can be found in the stores and it really gets the thing done. The soil will never be an issue but the hands have to be professional to work on this product. The handling with the butterfly handles help the product to work with to a far extent. It is important to note that this product is not other products that the power is delivered easily but there has to be some of the pressure to be used by the users.
Why We Like It
- Easy starting of the product through the manual recoil fuel delivery allows the product to be convenient
- It has the gas powerhead with 8 inches of the bit. And 6 inches bit is sold separately by the company gives more ground to work on
- The gear works directly with the solid steel driveshaft
- The balancing the convenience of the product by the butterfly handle allows the product to get the grip
- The fuel capacity of the digger is 32 gallons which do wonders indeed
- The versatility is not that good for the product
- No replacement parts available
- Only for the professionals because of the handling
Frequently Asked Questions on Post Hole Diggers
How do you dig post holes with roots?
A posthole may contain parts of wood and rocks that are inside the soil. This can also include deep roots of trees that can be enrooted into the soil. Removing roots from a pothole is a menacing work because roots can be deeply embedded inside the ground. The usage of the usual posthole digger is not sufficient to cut the roots. Manually cutting down the roots can be more strenuous. The process of removing a posthole, with roots in it, involves a tool known as an auger. The most commonly used auger is the manual posthole auger. This helps in digging right through it. An auger is a huge and heavy tool. Therefore, after digging the surface of the pothole with a spade, the auger should be kept on the root. With the help of another person, the auger must be held tightly as it may throw you off balance. It is then switched on and the roots are drilled through to get a hole by which fences or posts can be held.
If you want to dig a hole through the roots then you have to work out a bit on the spot and the area around. Follow the steps below to get your way through this:
- Create a hole on the spot where you want to get the auger into. The hole will help the auger to get the spot marked. The hole should be quite deep. The hole will allow stable drilling.
- If you already know the spot has a root then get help from someone. It is not easy to get through it. It is a tough area and you will need a hand. Keep the pressure constant.
- Stand opposite each other for the drilling and hit the tip to the hole.
- The starting of the auger is the difficult part. Standing opposite each other is important. After getting the start on the auger get hold of the handles quickly.
- Keep the system steady by both the sides and the pressure constant. The bit will do its work. Do not leave the handle else it will not work away. Allow the auger to drill its way through the root
What is a post hole digger called?
In basic terms, there is no specialized work for the digger but technically Auger can be said in the terms. Auger’s definition tells that Auger is a tool that resembles a large corkscrew for boring holes on the ground or in the wood. Thus, you can say that Auger best matches the post hole digger. Auger is basically the bit that helps in the digging part of the complete system. But auger can be used here because the base work is depended on the bit or the auger bit.
A posthole digger is a device used to dig through post holes that are found in the soil. Digging manually with a spade is hectic work. Therefore a posthole digger is used to dig deep into the soil. This posthole digger is also called a posthole pincer. This is because the tool is pierced inside the ground and the blades are pulled together, thereby, loosening the soil. The soil is removed and the process is repeated. An auger can also be called a posthole digger. An auger digs deeper into the soil. In the end, a posthole digger is a tool used to dig deep holes that can be used for fencing and other purposes. Posthole diggers are commonly used by postholes archaeologists, as postholes are very common in the field of archaeology.
Are post hole augers interchangeable?
Well, yes and no. Yes, in terms of the kind of bit you want to work with and the product that you are working with. And No again for the product, you are working with. Most of the diggers come with an interchangeable auger bit whereas some of the products don’t allow the auger bits to be changed. It should always be changeable because everybody has to work on different holes and it becomes important for the product to get the versatility on the auger bits. It is even recommended that the products should come with in-the-box bits that can help the product to work on larger areas of hole and the drilling bits.
A posthole auger is a heavy tool that is used to dig deeper than the usual posthole digger making this more effective. Posthole augers come in different diameters. This diameter is constant and cannot be changed. But auger drills can be interchangeable. To interchange the drills of the auger, heavier machinery is required. A Heavy-Duty Auger can be used if there is a lot of fieldwork to be done. The drills can be interchanged according to the need of hole. Usually, augers come in the range of 6 inches to 24 inches. Once dug the diameter of the hole cannot be changed if an auger is used. This can be considered a disadvantage in a few cases. Interchangeable posthole augers are only used for renovation or heavy field works
How deep can you dig with a post hole digger?
Post holes can be dug according to the needs of the user. But generally, postholes are dug from 2 to 4 feet below. If deeper holes are required, an extension rod is required. A normal posthole digger digs 3 and half feet below the surface. For footings and decks, deeper holes are required. Augers can dig up to 3 feet. With heavy machinery, holes can be dug from 4 to 6 feet below the surface of the soil. Building fences and decks require a minimum depth of 3 feet but if a pole has to be built, an extra two and a half feet should be dug up. A post hole digger has a standard depth bit of 9 inches.
But you can go up to 30 inches deep. The thing is that it all depends on the type of work you have to take on. For example, you have fencing work to do then 9 inches of depth is enough. For a greater measure you can go into 12 inches of depth. For setting up a pole for other cause you can go with up to 24 inches bit but there are very rare occasions where you get to hold on to the 30 inches bit.
Conclusion : Tired of using the shovel to dig up holes? Dug it deep enough to find out roots? The one solution for all the problems, that dig you up more than the hole, would be post hole diggers. The solution to ease your way into the soil, posthole diggers are the tools that help you have an easier and fun time in digging post holes. Post hole diggers come in different variations that help digger deeper holes. An auger is a type of posthole digger which helps in digging wider and deeper holes. There can be a root for all problems but the problem of postholes in the roots.
The Augers are used for removing the roots efficiently. Post hole diggers are heavy machinery and therefore must be handled with care. The sharp pincers are to be handled with safety and proper equipment are to be worn before using. It is recommended to be used with the help of a friend as the digger has a reputation to throw off people if used alone.